Monday, February 23, 2009

"With this ring, I thee wed?"

Be forewarned. This is a rant post. Okay, here’s the thing. I’m into observing the obvious. And it’s obvious that about half of the married men that I know don’t wear their wedding rings. And ALL of the married women that I know do wear their wedding rings. Hmm.

So I did a little survey and whenever I would see a male friend or associate who I knew was married and ringless, I’d ask why. Here are some of the responses:

It’s annoying.
It’s too tight.
I work outside and when I sweat it slips off.
Why should I?
I lost it.
I grew out of it.
It’s not important.
I’m allergic to metal.
I hate jewelry.
It gets in the way. (Really?)
I forget to put it on.

Alright, you get the idea. But the thing is, GUYS, I’m a single woman. And when I happen to see a man who catches my eye, the first thing I look for is a ring. What if there isn’t one? I figure I have a 50/50 chance. So what if? What if it’s a full moon (my excuse for all inappropriate social behavior) and I throw caution to the wind and approach him? And he’s married? Oops. Too late. “It’s already out there,” as Harry would say a la When Harry Met Sally.

It’s a symbol. It's a custom. Try to live with it. Either that or you can always wear a sign; “Sorry, I know I’m not wearing a ring and I look really hot tonight but I am married, so please look away.”

No comments:

Post a Comment